3D Printed Porg

After watching the latest Star Wars trailers, I was so excited for the upcoming movie. Not just for the lightsabers and battles and the force, but the smallest character in the trailer — Porg! While he might’ve only had a couple seconds of airtime, I’ve got high hopes for this adorable little creature and wanted to make one of my own.

I spent the night modeling my own little Porg using Zbrush, and then decimated the poly count so it’ll be a little easier to print. With my model done, it was time to export and print.

porg-zbrush

The total printing time for this project was about 14 hours. Would’ve been worse but for a model about 5″ tall it really wasn’t that bad. I was able to print it with a wall thickness of 4 and 0% infill so it was completely hollow the entire way through. While taking less time and less material to make, it also make the model incredibly light.

While it was supposed to be printed in one piece, I had a bit of a problem where my print failed partway through due to some supports falling down. Rather than scrap the parts that already make it through, I just printed the rest of the model and figured I’d glue it later. Good thinking too as a couple more layers ended up separating when pulling it off of the build plate. Guess next time I’ll be more careful in doing that.

3d printed porg pieces

Bit of a bummer, I think it would’ve looked better in the end if it wasn’t for that. Oh well. Some light sanding on the glue points to make sure the glue stuck well, and then glued it all together (result below). Not too bad though you can definitely see the seams where the pieces were glued, as well as some printing gaps. Not sure exactly what was up with that though I believe it was a z-axis alignment issue as it only started showing up in the top part of the model.

3d printed porg glued

Once it was all glued together, it was onto the finishing process. Nothing special here — start with some sanding to smooth out layers, especially the joins between the glued pieces. Start with a gritty paper and work your way up. Once I was happy with that, I painted on a coat of XTC-3D, let it cure, and then sanded it some more. With a nicer surface to work with, the final step before painting was hitting it with a coat of sand-able primer.

With the surface ready for painting, it was just a matter of starting with the base colors and progressively adding in more details and variation. Over a couple nights it took maybe a couple hours of hand painting with just acrylic paint you’d find in any hobby store. Once I had the paint where I wanted it, or at least to the point where I didn’t think it was going to get any better, I finished it off with a coat of sprayable polyurethane to help seal in the paint. Check out the final model below. If you like it and want to make your own, you can find the STL file at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2593522.

3d printed porg base paint

3d printed porg complete

3d printed porg complete